Sweet Potato Pecan Delight
Disclaimer: contains affiliate links.
This recipe is too good not to share. I love organic sweet potatoes. I love them any way they are cooked. Yet, for the holidays, I wanted a sweet potato side that everyone would love. I spend years perfecting this recipe, and now you simply get to revel in the delight of it. I call it Sweet Potato Pecan Delight. You can thank my family for the years of trial and perfection it took to create this. They were always eager to sample it!! This is one of my indulgent sides because I only make it during the holidays. You can easily substitute items out to meet your food needs. I make one tray without the pecans for my girls who are allergic to nuts. Here’s what to do:
- Assemble your pan (I used this style because it was a gift) and preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Peel 6 organic sweet potatoes. Cut into even cubes. Boil until soft (about 15 minutes or so, test with a fork).
3. Once they are soft through, strain out excess water and place while still warm into a large electronic mixing bowl. (Do not allow them to cool off). Place into the electronic mixer the warm sweet potatoes, 1 stick of organic butter such as my favorite, Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter – Unsalted (8 ounce), 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract, 1/3 cup of organic brown cane sugar. Blend until completely smooth and no big chunks.
4. If you can refrain from eating the entire bowl at this point, place the mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. If your sweet potatoes were very large, this might fill up two pans. You want the depth only about 1 inch, you need room for the delightful pecan topping.
5. Set the sweet potato trays to the side and now use a clean medium sized mixing bowl to prepare the delightful pecan topping. (I only make this once a year! Ok, maybe twice 😉 You will need: 2 cups halved or roughly chopped pecans (such as Jansal Valley Raw Pecan Pieces), 1/3 cup organic brown cane sugar, 1/4 cup organic flour of choice, 5 TBS butter.
6. I always mix these items together with clean hands. The reason is I like to keep the structure of the pecans and I can feel instantly when it is perfect – the mixture should resemble a crumble with the pecans each coated in the delightful topping.
7. Once the topping is finished, sprinkle it in an even layer on top of the sweet potato filled pans. This is now transforming into your new favorite holiday dish ~ Sweet Potato Pecan Delight. Depending on the size of your sweet potatoes, you may have one or two pans made. You can easily make more crumble if you need to. You basically just want a thin layer over the entire top of the sweet potato.
8. You now have done the hardest part ~ refrained from eating it before your guests. So, you can either – cover with foil and wait until you need to cook it (can prep it all in the morning and cook it just before dinner time), or you can cook it right now.
9. To bake it: keep uncovered. Bake @ 350F until warm throughout (about 30 minutes) then increase to 400F and bake another 10 minutes or so until the top layer is just crisp. Do not burn those pecans This dish is so easy, so delicious, and will delight your family and guests. Enjoy your special day! Love ~ Joy